We know that moving presents some challenges. We hope you’ll find some of these tips helpful in your upcoming move.
ONE MONTH BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Reserve your moving company as soon as you know you are moving. Note: LARAMOVING is a full service moving company providing both moving services and packing services.
- Purchase your moving boxes. There are places you can rent reusable boxes like FrogBox. If you are moving on a budget, some grocery/department stores will let you have their unused boxes.
- Begin packing your closets, the garage, attic and any other spaces that store things that are used occassionally.
- Begin sorting things that are no longer necessary, list them on CraigsList, Kijiji or host a garage sale. Donate any items that have not sold before the move. If you cannot take the goodwill away, LARAMOVING
- If you do not have time to clean the home/apartment for the new owners make arrangements for cleaning services. LARAMOVING has professional cleaning and carpet cleaning services available.
- Moving with children; make sure you have transfer records for their new school.
- Fill out the online change of address forms at Canada Post http://www.canadapost.ca/move schedule any transfers or disconnect of service:
- Financial Advisor
- Lawn and Garden Service
- Maid/Cleaning Service
- Banks/Credit Card Companies
- Auto Insurance
- BC Medical
- Newspaper and Magazine Subscriptions
- Pension Plans
- Revenue Canada
TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Make a Cleaning Kit that includes things you will need for the final clean-up and include a snack for the last day. Place it aside so that it will not be taken away in the move.
- Begin Packing! Label all the moving boxes as you pack and include: the room it goes to and a list of the contents. Put the label on the top of the box and sides to ensure ease of access later on. See Packing Tips for a full list of helpful hints.
THE WEEK OF THE MOVE
- Clean the stove and any other appliances except the fridge leave the fridge for the last day.
- Make any final arrangements with your moving company. If you need them to come later than originally planned, make sure you tell them, otherwise you may be charged for additional time.
Planning Your Move
A smooth move will take time. The more prepared you are, the less stressful the actual day will be. Click to view more details.
Keep Us in the Loop
Let us know of any additions or subtractions to the move or any major changes in timing. The less surprises, the better. Click to view more details.
Secure your Valuables
Make sure your valuables such as jewelry and important official documents are kept and accounted for. Smaller items are easy to misplace, especially during a move. Click to view more details.
Tips to help you pack and ensure your things transfer properly and are more quickly accessed as you settle in your new home. Click to view more details.